Elena Grantcharova Geppert, MD is a well rounded plastic and cosmetic surgeon with a discerning eye for beauty and a strong appreciation of art and style.
Dr. Geppert was born in Bulgaria (part of Eastern Europe bordering Greece). At age 15 she defected on her own from the communist government of Bulgaria to Western Germany. She came as a refugee to New York City and graduated as a Valedictorian of her High School Class.
Dr. Elena G. Geppert was accepted into Harvard University on a full scholarship, and graduated with honors in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. During her studies in Cambridge she did scientific research at the Harvard Medical School and at the CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) in Strassbourg, France.
She returned to New York to study medicine at the New York University School of Medicine. Her artistic skills and appreciation for beauty led to her choice of plastic surgery as a career.
Dr. Geppert fulfilled her pre-requisite training in general surgery at the world renowned Michael DeBakey Department of General Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. She was awarded the Thomas D. Cronin Fellowship in Plastic Surgery and Burns at the University of Texas-Houston Medical Center where she mastered the treatment of acute burn care and post-burn reconstructive surgery under Prof. Dr. Donald H. Parks.
Dr. Geppert was accepted at the well known Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency Training Program at the University of Texas Houston Medical Center. During her training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Geppert completed more than 1700 surgical cases at Memorial Hermann Hospital, LBJ General Hospital, St. Joseph Hospital and MD Anderson Cancer Center. Being fluent in 5 languages, Dr. Geppert also had the opportunity to travel numerous times to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to operate with the world renowned aesthetic plastic surgeon Prof. Dr. Ivo Pitanguy at the Santa Casa da Misericordia General Hospital.
Dr. Elena G. Geppert is currently affiliated with Clear Lake Regional Hospital, St. Luke-Patients Medical Center, Christus St. John Hospital, Bayshore Medical Center, Bay Area Surgicare Center, and South Shore Surgicenter and Doctors Outpatient Surgicenter.
Dr. Geppert is well versed in all areas of plastic and cosmetic surgery, and specializes in aesthetic face and body surgery as well as reconstructive breast surgery. She lives in the South Shore area with her husband, son, and twin daughters. Her interests are travel, art, sailing, skiing, and spending time with her family.
September 1989 – June 1993
BS, Major Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with honors
- John Harvard Scholarship
- Elisabeth Cary Agassiz Scholarship
- Elisabeth Cary Agassiz Traveling Scholarship
- Harvard Club of New York Scholarship Award
September 1993 – May 1997
- McCullum Scholarship 1995 and 1996
July 1997 – July 2000
- General Surgery Residency, Department of Surgery
July 2000 – July 2002
- Thomas D. Cronin Fellowship in Plastic Surgery and Burns, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston
July 2002 – July 2004
- Plastic Surgery Residency, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston
- Microscopic Approach to Craniosynostosis. Baumgartner JE, Teichgraeber, JF, Waller AL, Grantcharova EP, Gateno J, Xia JJ. JCraniofac Surg. 2005 Nov;16(6):997-1005.
- Facial Gunshot Wounds: a 4-year experience. Hollier L, Grantcharova EP, Kattash M. JOral Maxillofac Surg. 2001 Mar;59(3):277-82.
- Functional Restoration of Adults and Children with Upper Extremity Amputations. Chapter 5: Upper Extremity Amputation Revision and Reconstruction- S. Shenaq, MD E. Grantcharova, MD. Springer Verlag, New York, 2000.
- Reconstruction of High-Voltage Electrical Burn to the Calvarium. (case report, Dr. Wainwright, MD Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, UT – Houston, 2002)
- Management of Patients with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (clinical study Dr. Parks, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, UT -Houston, 2002)
- Microsurgical Reconstruction of Periorbital Deformities (clinical studies on the microsurgical reconstruction of facial contour deformities Dr. Siebert, MD; Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, NYU, 1995-96)
- Genetic Reconstruction and Characterization of Chimeric MerR-SoxR Proteins in Escherichia coli. (honors thesis in biochemistry) Harvard University, 1993
- Mutagenesis Spectrum of AAF (N-2acetylaminofluorene) (AAF is a Powerful liver carcinogen ), France, summer 1992
- DNA Hybridization Analysis as a Tool for Epidimiologic Typing of Enterococci, New York City, summer 1991
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery Symposium – 2013, Las Vegas NV
- The Aesthetic Meeting – 2012, Vancouver Canada
- International Fat Grafting Forum – 2011, New Orleans LA
- Plastic Surgery Board Review Course – 2009, Phoenix AZ
- Rhinoplasty and Aesthetic Surgery Symposium – 2003, Dallas TX
- AO Facial Trauma Course – 2002, Houston TX
- Techniques in Microvascular Surgery: Park Plaza Hospital – 2002, Houston TX
- American Burn Association Meeting – 2002, Chicago IL; 2001, Boston, MA
- ASAPS – American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting – 2002, New York NY
- Medical Doctor for Burn Camp – Houston, May 2001 and 2002
- Clinica Ivo Pitanguy Plastic Surgery Summer Fellowship – Rio de Janeiro, 1995, 1996 and 1999
- Medical Spanish Program, Centro Medico – Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Summer 1994